Tuesday, January 30, 2007

There's so much noise

There is just so much noise.

Every day, everywhere I go, there is noise. Noise filling my ears, my head, my brain and my thoughts.

E.g. when sitting in my cubicle at work, there are so many people around me, talking and chatting, typing and writing, listening to music (which I only hear the baseline from their earplugs), drinking, eating, tapping their feet, and so on and so on.

Noise.

And outside, there are cars, airplanes and a big crane which makes a very cruel noise when lifting stuff that the workers there are going to hammer into place.

More noise.

And when going home, I can choose between the noise from the traffic, or I can choose to listen to music on my Muvo, but that will only block out part of the noise.
I need silence.
Silence.
Peace.


With all the technology available, why haven’t anyone invented earplugs or headsets which brings complete silence?

It can’t be that hard?

And, I don’t want something the size of an orange sitting on the sides of my head, I just want a nice little thing to stick in my ear. Preferably something which I can configure to say, e.g. “ok, now I accept phonecalls” (directly to the plug), or “ok, let conversations in” (preferably from people with pleasant voices.


I have, today, discovered a nice alternative while waiting.
I usually listen to the radio on my way to and from work, but that also gets pretty noisy sometimes.

But, today I discovered the music which is probably the nearest thing you get to silence.
At least, it feels that way for your soul:
Check out one (out of 140!) of the radiostations on Classical Webcast.

They “attempt to collect all live-broadcasting classical radio stations on the Web”, and I think they are doing pretty well.

Hopefully it works as well for you as it does for me: I now have a way to block the noise out, by bringing classics in  

No comments: